Saturday 14 April 2012

Chocolate Mocha Cake

My Mum mentioned that she might pop up for tea this afternoon so I decided to make her a cake.
I adapted a coffee and walnut cake recipe from my favourite cook book The cookery Year Readers Digest unlike the image on Amazon mine is a well used copy which was handed down to me from my grandma and has pages literally falling out.



My well used cookery book.
My original intention of making a coffee and walnut cake turned into a chocolate mocha cake. (I haven’t been shopping properly for a few weeks and I was missing a few ingredients.)






I was pleased with the outcome and would make this again.
Mummy and Mimi’s Chocolate Mocha Cake
Ingredients:
4oz/113g margarine or butter
4oz/113g demerara sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsps of coffee granules dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water
3oz/85g self raising flour
1oz/28g cocoa powder
Beat your butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
Crack your egg into a separate dish and lightly whisk them with a fork.
Slowly turn the speed up on your mixer and gradually add your eggs to your sugar and butter.
Sift in your flour and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
Pour in your dissolved coffee granules and mix.
Pour your mixture into your prepared tin and bake in a pre heated oven at 160 degrees (fan assisted) for about 30mins.
To make your icing:
60g of unsalted butter
120g of icing sugar
1 tsp of coffee granules dissolved in half a tablespoon of water.
20g of cocoa powder
Basically I just put it all in my magimix and mixed it together until it was light and fluffy. I then cut my cake in half and put half in the middle and spread the remainder on the top. Depending on the size of your cake you may need to adjust the quantities for the icing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...