Monday 16 April 2012

Rhubarb Crumble Cake

I just love Rhubarb and I am pleased to see it in abundance at the local vegetable shops.  When we were children my Mum used to grow it at the bottom of the garden.  We used to eat it raw, stewed on cornflakes for breakfast (I was never too keen on this) and rhubarb crumble.  Today I brought some more and decided to try something new.  With Mimi's help we made a rhubarb cake for dessert.  I got the original idea from Hannah's Kitchen.



Ingredients:

Pre heat your oven to about 170degrees

2 sticks of Rhubarb washed and cut into 1inch strips

Cake Base

185g Caster Sugar
185g Butter (I used unsalted)
185g Self Raising Flour
3 eggs

Crumble Topping
85g Plain Flour
43g Butter (I used unsalted)
28g Caster Sugar

Method:

  1. Cream your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
  2. Slowly add your lightly whisked eggs
  3. Add your flour and mix until combined
  4. Add your mixture into your pre-lined tin
  5. Carefully place your rhubarb on the top of your cake mixture
  6. Make up your crumble topping by combining all the ingredients together in a bowl and using your hands rub it until it resembles bread crumbs.  Try not to make it too fine.
  7. Sprinkle your crumble over your rhubarb and place in your oven.

Because this is a recipe I made up it was a bit difficult to gauge the timings.  I started checking it after about 30mins but it will probably take nearer to 50mins.  When I was testing with my skewer I kept thinking it wasn't cooked but I think I just went through a piece of rhubarb. 

I think that this is one of the best cakes we have made so far.  Probably not very good for the Weight Watchers Points (but I worked it off at step and load so it's okay!!).  We served it up for dessert with reduced fat crème fraiche or cream in Mikes case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...